Thursday 17 November 2016

WHY DO WE GET AN ELECTRIC SHOCK WHILE WALKING BELOW THE HIGH POWER ELECTRIC POLES DURING RAINY SEASON.

DID YOU EVER EXPERIENCE THE SHOCK IN YOUR UMBRELLA WHILE WALKING UNDER A HIGH VOLTAGE ELECTRIC LINE??
A few months back I was walking from my college to the nearest station with my friends. It was raining. It was fun walking in rain with our umbrellas in our hands. But as we reached a high voltage electric line which normally carries a voltage of 25000 plus volts, we started experiencing some current through our hands. The current we experienced was more scary when we heard a noise like something sizzling in kitchen. One of my friend dropped the umbrella on the road. It was quite an aweful situation. But being an engineering student all of a sudden all five of us started questioning each other for the exact reason. Well none of us had the exact answer but each one of us had our own reasoning towards the extraoridanary experience.
Since that day I've been thinking about the exact reason. What my reasoning that time was that poles or high rods might attract high voltage electric current. What strengthened my belief was a movie scene from the movie BACK TO FUTURE which I had seen when I was very young. But after some days probably a month later I realized that wasn't correct reasoning. 
What next struck my mind was that it might be because that day it was raining and the atmosphere was moist(humid due to floating water droplets) which would have been the conducting medium between me and the ground to complete the circuit. And due to the height range the current was mild. Well this only a part of the reason. To make sure what the exact reason was I searched the net and after a lot searching I found this

No comments:

Post a Comment